Recipe for no-knead bread
- Cast iron casserole like this one
- 3 cups of flour
- 1/4 tsp yeast
- 1 tsp salt (optional)
- 1 tbsp olive oil (optional)
- Mix the ingredients in a mixing bowl until it's shaggy.
- Cover it with something (I use a big plate) and stick it in your (room temperature) oven. Maybe turn the light on if your house is cold.
- Wait between 8 and 24 hours (12 is usually perfect).
- Spread a bunch of flour on your counter.
- Use a rubber spatula to get the bubbly mess out of the bowl and onto the counter.
- Roll it around a bit to coat it, and then put it back into the bowl for another hour or so.
- Heat your oven to 450°F with the empty cast-iron pot.
- Spatula out the dough onto the counter and coat it in flour once more.
- Put it in the hot pot and bake for 35 minutes.
- Take the lid off and bake for another 10 minutes.
This recipe is so forgiving; I hardly even measure things anymore. You can also add some ground flax or whole-wheat flour (and use a little less white flour to compensate). I've also added combinations of rosemary, olives, parmesan, nuts... Put whatever you want in it!
Original Credit: Recipe for no knead bread